Topband: Stew Perry TBDC changes being considered

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Stew Perry TBDC changes being considered
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:45:34 -0800
All -

The BARC has received some comments suggesting that a different time of year
might make the Stew Perry Top Band Distance challenge a better event.  This
suggestion comes after the Board of Directors of BARC have personally noticed
exceptional conditions during the last half of October - as compared to the
conditions during the Stew.

Conventional wisdom has always suggested that the dead of winter is the best
time for the larger percentage of hams (who seem to live above the equator).

However, it is obvious that many long distance QSOs with stations in the
southern hemisphere would be enabled by holding the event closer to the
equinox.  If the experience during the past 3 years is any indicator, it is
possible that there might even be better propagation - or at least more
consistent propagation than we have seen in December.

So - the BARC is soliciting input on how to make something happen in October.

Our initial thought is to hold an additional event - that either stands on its
own - or perhaps is somehow integrated into the current December event.  Our
target weekend would be the weekend before the CQ WW SSB contest - which might
enable a few more DX stations to be on (arriving early before the CQ WW SSB
contest).

If the new date appears to be a winner - we might move the whole event to that
date starting in 2008.

Are there any major issues with that weekend?  If not, we will probably move
forward with making a preliminary announcement so it can get into the
magazines in time.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net
Chief bottle washer - Boring Amateur Radio Club