Topband: How do you count the turns on a binocular core?

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: How do you count the turns on a binocular core?
From: Kenneth Grimm <kgrimm@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:12:51 -0500
*I recently decided to put up a gaggle of reversible two-wire
beverages.  I looked at Vic Misek's book, checked into what ON4UN had to
say about them, visited W8JI's site, looked at several other web
postings and still have some questions about how to get them to work.
One of my questions arises from an inconsistency in what the articles
have to say about the very basic question, "How do you count turns in a
binocular core?"

Joe Carr, K4IPV, on page 100 of his book, Secrets of RF Circuit Design,
suggests that for a two turn winding, there would be two wires passing
through each hole in the binocular core.  See **http://tinyurl.com/yhwqpf

**Mark Connelly, WA1ION, **in Fig. 2 in **his article "Remote
Termination of Beverage and Ewe Antennas (found at
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/bev/bev_remote_term.htm ) indicates the same
as Carr, ie. two wires in each side of the core to constitute two turns.

John Devoldere, ON4UN, in his book, Low Band DXing, 4th ed. on page
7-59, suggests that there would be one wire in each side of the
binocular core to have a two turn winding (4 passes, 2 turns).

John's approach appears most logical to me, but Carr and Connelly seem
to have come to a different conclusion.  Is theirs faulty thinking
carried over from the toroid case or am I missing something very basic?

73,
*

--

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr