Re: Topband: How do you count the turns on a binocular core?

To: "Kenneth Grimm" <kgrimm@adelphia.net>,"Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How do you count the turns on a binocular core?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:11:04 -0500
> John Devoldere, ON4UN, in his book, Low Band DXing, 4th
> ed. on page
> 7-59, suggests that there would be one wire in each side
> of the
> binocular core to have a two turn winding (4 passes, 2
> turns).

In manufacturing and in my own Ham life a "turn" is a pass
through the core. In a binocular core a turn is *generally*
considered once through and once back, unless the two holes
are used independently instead of for a common winding.

I started using the word "pass" with employees back in the
80's when dealing with toroids, as a "pass" through the
hole. The reason for this is employees would often count the
wire outside the hole as a turn, but that wire has virtually
no effect at all on what goes on. It's only the pass through
the hole that matters.

In an air-wound coil you do not count the start. It is the
zero turn. In a toroid the very first pass (or start) is a
turn. It is turn number one.

73 Tom