Re: Topband: Beverage question

To: "'Clint Talmadge'" <unclebudd@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage question
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@k8nd.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:41:30 -0500

Clint:

I don't recall what reason ON4UN gave for the recommendation to not run a
Beverage through
the woods, but the antenna will work fine running through the woods. Run the
antenna in
the direction you want to favor, and consider using a two-wire Beverage so you
can get two
directions while you are stringing wire.

The only problem with having the Beverage in the woods that I can think of is
that
branches *will* fall on the wire over time, and so *will* require regular
repairs.
"Walking the Beverage" is a normal task for many Topbanders before a major
contest,
looking for damage and repairing. We just went through this at the PJ2T station
on
Curacao, where "Walking the Beverage" for our European antenna requires 2-days
of hacking
through cactus and spiny-bushes with a machete and clippers. We found a spot
where one of
the (rare) tall bushes fell across the wire sometime in the past 8 months and
fixed it.

It's hard to put up a Beverage that does not work! Nothing is critical in it's
installation. Keep it mostly-straight, make it long enough, make it high enough
so deer
and people won't walk into it, terminate it with a value of resistance
something close to
the published value (or use the reflection transformer for the 2-wire version),
and don't
sweat the rest. Any receiving antenna is much, much better than no receiving
antenna!

73,

Jeff Maass  K8ND

Station Manager  PJ2T,