Re: Topband: FINALLY an SWL card worth having!

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: FINALLY an SWL card worth having!
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:29:32 -0400
> Maybe...  I also got a card from VU2-0020,
> interestingly at the exact time VU2BGS answered
> my CQ in 2004.  I'm attaching a couple of emails
> from him below.  Being a bit skeptical by nature,
> I'd really be more impressed if I knew all SWLs
> actually heard NA DX unassisted, without listening
> to a local station (e.g. VQ9LA, A45XR, 8Q7DV,
> etc) actually making the QSO...or were not simply
> monitoring Packet spots.

I'm sure that goes on.  I've received several cards where
the SWL obviously was watching the cluster. Some from
mid-day at the SWL location. It's almost like the WAZ scam
using 18MHz cards.

I never trust a report where the SWL might really be
listening to another local station.

My best SWL report was from 4S7. I knew it was good because
there was no such thing as a cluster back then and I was
working (now sk-)W2EQS.

Anything after the days of clusters is suspect IMO.

73 Tom