Re: Topband: Coax VF

To: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>,"Top Band" <topband@contesting.com>,"Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@suddenlink.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Coax VF
From: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:45:11 -0600

> On 28th March, Mike wrote...
>
>> "...it seems that I read in ON4UN a rather ominous recommendation that
> foam dielectric be avoided for use as phasing lines, the reason being that
> the VF does not remain constant with time & temperature. He recommended
> using only solid dielectric coax for that purpose. I know this isn't what
> you wanted to hear, but it may save you a lot of grief down the road.  I
> will try to find the exact paragraph in the latest ON4UN book."

I thought ON4UN simply pointed out that the only coax you could use was foam
for certain applications - like four square if you wanted to use quarter
wavelength lines to reach a center point in the array.  I don't remember
anyone ever saying not to use foam provided you know what the velocity
factor actually is.

Stan, K5GO