Re: Topband: coil wire oxidation

To: W8AV@aol.com
Subject: Re: Topband: coil wire oxidation
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 10:54:47 -1000

> I would soak it in Tarnex.  That will clean it up.

Okay, so now the wire is clean and shiny. What about the ceramic form on
which the coil is wound? Isn't there now going to be a residue of silver
oxide or other possibly conductive crud left between the turns of the coil?

I would think that you would at least want to rinse the ceramic form
off, with something that will not re-oxidize the silver. Maybe alcohol?
Even so, some of the white ceramics used in  Johnson inductors and
capacitors is not glazed and have a sort of rough surface. I wonder if
even after a good rinse there would still be conductive residue remaining.

N6KB