Re: Topband: Cleaning Up Large Air Variables?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Cleaning Up Large Air Variables?
From: James Kearman <jkearman@att.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 08:23:36 -0400
kd4e wrote:
> Can they be immersed in some sort of cleaning solution
> without harm to the ceramic, brass, and other metal?

I took apart a large Johnson variable that had a heavy accumulation of
dust and crud, and was able to wash it in a bucket. I could remove the
rotor plates individually but not the stator plates, so it took some
time and many paper towels ("Viva" towels worked best) to get in between
them. I used dish washing detergent and warm water. The enemy here is
pitting of the metal. If not too bad, very fine emery paper ("crocus
cloth") used carefully, willl smooth out the bumps.

BTW, as you don't know what was in the water it was in, wear rubber
gloves. The caps should clean up, but I'd be more concerned about
corrosion inside the power transformer. Good luck.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/