Re: Topband: 160M_AC_BUZZ

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M_AC_BUZZ
From: Ian Wade <g3nrw@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 06:43:18 +0100
In message
<20070810212922.GRTL12046.aamtain03-winn.ispmail.ntl.com@mta121.mail.ukl.
yahoo.com>, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> writes
>On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:26:40 -0400, george wrote:
>
>>I got up at 1AM last night and it was not there??? This morning,  back
>
>Don't rule out the possibility that it could be a noise-maker in a home
>or office near you. Examples include battery chargers (for power tools,
>mobility scooters, etc.), power supplies for consumer equipment, and
>plasma TV sets.

This sounds very likely, especially as the interference disappeared by
1AM. Some time ago I had really bad interference on the band, and I
roundly cursed the unknown individual responsible for it. Then my wife
switched off the TV and went to bed, and the noise went away!

I still get very raucous interference in some parts of the hf bands
which I suspect is coming from a local broadband cable modem (maybe
mine), but I haven't gotten around to tracking it down yet.

Another possibility: could the interference be coming from internet over
power line?

Ian, G3NRW

g3nrw@yahoo.co.uk