Re: Topband: 160M_AC_BUZZ

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M_AC_BUZZ
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:54:29 -0500
Steve McDonald wrote:

>>promises, absolutely NOTHING has actually been done. But, they still
>>promise to "take care" of it.
>>

>Charles - like you, I could not get any response / action from the local
>hydro guys until I mentioned the magic word :
>'arcing' ...

Yep, arcing is the magic word. I finally built an arc detector (QST
April 2006, modified) to find problems like this.  The last one I
tracked down turned out to be located 3 miles from my house.  I was
amazed.  It was S9 at my house.  I located the lightning arrestor that
was the problem, called the power company, gave them the info, and said
the magic word.  I took three hours before they came out and
disconnected the wire to the lightning arrestor.  Problem gone.

Jerry, K4SAV