Topband: RX Antenna for DXepedition

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: RX Antenna for DXepedition
From: GEORGE WALLNER <gwallner@the-beach.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:07:37 -0400
Dear Group Members,

I need advise regarding the need for a dedicated RX
antenna for a small (200 lbs), two person expedition.

I am going on a diving trip to Willis Islets and have
decided to activate the location. I have received the
callsign VK9WWI and intend to operate between Sep 24 and
Oct 04 (dates are somewhat WX dependent, etc.) I want to
focus on 160 and 80 meters, but at the same time need to
keep the gear to the minimum. For TX antenna I intend to
use an inverted L consisting of a 60' telescoping mast and
some length of horizontal wire. The antenna will be fed
via a tuner, so at this stage I am not too worried about
exact dimensions. For grounding I will mostly rely on the
sea water and will try to erect the TX antenna either in
the water or at the water's edge. (My home QTH is on the
water's edge, so I got some experience in that erea.)

The big question I am facing is whether I should take a
separate RX antenna, such as a K9AY loop, or wire for
beverages? Given the location, I do not expect much
man-made noise. On the other hand, I expect QRN from
thunder-storms to the north. Will the noise on the TX
antenna be too high? Would a dedicated RX antenna be worth
the extra weight and work required to erect it?

I understand that this is a very subjective question, but
any advice based on experience will be helpful.

TKS, 73,

George
AA7JV

PS: I know that I will have to eat my earlier words and
QSL (or get somebody to do it)!