Re: Topband: RX Antenna for DXepedition

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RX Antenna for DXepedition
From: steve d <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:00:54 -0700 (PDT)

George AA7JV wrote:

The big question I am facing is whether I should take a   separate RX antenna,
such as a K9AY loop, or wire for   beverages? Given the location, I do not
expect much   man-made noise. On the other hand, I expect QRN from
thunder-storms to the north. Will the noise on the TX   antenna be too high?
Would a dedicated RX antenna be worth   the extra weight and work required to
erect it?

  Response:

  Hi there George. Consitering your location, I think you will be OK using your
inverted L as an RX antenna. You aren't going to get top-notch performence, but
at the same time you are only a two-man crew and the less the effort you put in
to set up the better your vaccation will go (trust me, I know - Ive done 1 man
operations while on vaccation on 6, 2, 432 the past several years). Your
location will probably be pretty quiet. so band noise wont be much of an issue
(maybe a few crashes from storms, like you say, but that shouldn't make the
band unusable). Your signals will be weaker, but the low noise would
compensate. If you are DX it doesnt take a big station to make contacts -
everyone is looking for ya.

  A K9AY loop system, if you do opt for an RX, is going to be your best bet.
Beverages take up a lot of space and are a pain to set up. Same goes for the
EWE, and other flags (minus the K9AY - single support, 2 wires for 4
directions). You could also go with BOG's (beverage-on-the-ground), I think
they are also called Snake antennas. They dont perform as well as a beverage
does but if you get out a significant amount of wire it will only help.

  I think youll be fine on the L, but its up to you. If you had more pairs of
arms then you could put together a top-notch station, but with just the two of
you and ham radio not being your main focus then it isnt worth it to put any
more in to your station than what will get you on the band. If you are a
perfectionist, go for whatever you want! Thats my 2c HI

  You say you are going to run on 80 and 160? If just those two bands then make
your L for 80 and switch in a loading coil for 160. That way you can achieve
resonance at the antenna and the size is a bit smaller. That is, unless your
tuner is mounted at the antenna.

  Set up a doublet for the VHF bands too (40-10) HI.

  Steve, KC8QVO