Re: Topband: RX 4 square

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>,"W0UN -- John Brosnahan" <shr@swtexas.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX 4 square
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:37:01 -0700
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
To: <Topband@contesting.com>; "W0UN -- John Brosnahan" <shr@swtexas.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:10 PM

>> I built an RX array in 1989 using three sets of crossed
>> dipoles.  Each dipole
>> was about 10 feet above the ground and a total of 24 feet
>> long (2 by
>> 12 ft pieces
>> of 1" aluminum tubing).
>
> One big factor people miss is the bandwidth of the receiver.
>
> Noise power is proportional to receiver bandwidth and a wide
> receiver or detector system limits on propagated noise much
> more easily than a narrow receiver. It doesn't take nearly
> the receive system noise figure to limit on propagated noise
> when BW is wide. For example when I go from 100-250Hz wide
> CW filters to a 2.1kHz wide SSB filter I can drop ten dB out
> of the system gain and noise figure without any problem.

If the sky noise power (read propagated noise +  local QRN) is
10dB above the receive system thermal noise at 2.1 KHz
bandwidth, it will still be 10dB above the receive system thermal
noise when you ratchet down the bandwidth to 200 Hz bandwidth.

Conversely, a system that is thermal noise limited at 2.1 KHz
bandwidth will be thermal noise limited at 200 Hz bandwidth.
Sensitivity will improve when you ratchet down bandwidth, but
the ratio between the receiver thermal noise and sky noise will be
unchanged (and in this example dominated by the receiver thermal
noise).