Topband: 160M Daylight QSO's - Conclusion

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160M Daylight QSO's - Conclusion
From: "VE3MGY" <vy2mgy@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:01:36 -0500
Here are the results of 10 days of daylight testing on 160M with 100 watts
into a Inverted L with 70' vertical and 55' horizontal and sitting on a 60'
hill, sloping down in all directions. Radio used was an Icom PIII with a CW
400 Hz. BW.

Results:

50 QSO's in 26 Grids in 15 States and 1 Province.
7 days with QSO's further than 500 KM.
3 days with QSO's further than 1000 KM.

Record DX was Tom ( W8JI )  at 1270 KM. Tom was still able to copy my signal
when my power was reduced to 5 watts. This is outside any theory I have seen
to date but then again Tom's station is probably second to none when its
comes to 160M.

Conclusion: There is alot better coverage during daylight hours than most
would expect.

A special thanks to Carl ( SM6CPY ) who  maintained a daily listening watch
at the radio "just in case"!

Thanks to all who listened and those who made it into the log.

73
Brian
VE3MGY