Topband: radials under Beverage .. the answer

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: radials under Beverage .. the answer
From: g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:15:51 -0000 (GMT)
Thanks to the 20+ replies regarding my ?radials under beverage? question.
A few have been posted on the reflector, most haven?t.

I have been asked to reply on reflector by a few wanting to know the
answers. To sum up. There isn?t really an ?answer?, every ones situation
is different.

The majority don?t recommend it, if you have the real estate to avoid it.
If you don?t, a few tricks like noise cancelling and TX ant  de-tuning
would help if an obvious rise in noise floor resulted. ( RX Patterns may
change also).  Some have  done just what I described and experienced no
difference in the performance of their Bev. Some have done it and noticed
additional noise, Some said don?t worry about it, some said, you might as
well cut your ears off.

Experiment and see I guess. Here I will take the advice not to run radials
out to 80m, but have a few more shorter ones at 40m and stay ¼ wave short
of the Bev.

I already don?t have a choice with a 2nd Bev, as I want some radials down
in that direction and it passes closer to the TX ant.

I will leave you with a quote from John AA1K ?Avoid it if you can, but
don't worry if you can't.

Neil G0JHC