Topband: Radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radials
From: David Cole <g3rcq@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:47:31 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all and thanks for all the help on how deep to bury radials.

My question this time - I am going to put in a 4 square and following ON4UN's
book 4th ed page 11-85 states that it is standard procede to install a bus and
the radials that would overlap are cut short and soldered to the bus.

Question  - is this a must or can I simple fan the radials out and allow the
radials to cross over and not be soldered to  central bus -
For me this makes things so much easier as I can prepare all the radials to a
standard length connect them to the central plate and then place them evenly
around the perimeter of each of the 4 verticals.

Also is there any advantage to placing another radial system in the centre of
the 4 square - over the top of the radials coming from each vertical?

If I do have to solder - I am under the impression that ordinery solder will
not stand up to the forces of nature - is this true and if so how can I combat
this - maybe coating in a rubber solution - any ideas?

Many thanks for reading my question and I look forward to receiving replies. -
regards Dave G3RCQ