Re: Topband: Daytime Propagation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Daytime Propagation
From: doktorij@bellsouth.net
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:50:43 +0000
GEORGE WALLNER wrote:
>  Unfortunately, a couple of NA station were CQ-ing
> in the DX window, perhaps thinking that there could be no
> DX during day-light. They had some great DX right under
> them.

We shouldn't blame the guys who were using the Window in daylight -- the
rules specifically allow that:

"Please observe the DX window from 1830 to 1835 kHz during the hours of
darkness. The DX window is for intercontinental contacts."

 IF there is going to be a DX Window (and that's another discussion
entirely) it should be day and night since it is so easy for stations in
daylight to QRM stations in darkness who are still working lots of DX.

73/Jon AA1K
Felton, Delaware

Wouldn't the US/VE be considered DX elsewhere? I see no problem with US or VE
stations calling in the DX window AND working DX only. One could argue that
PJ2, KV4, KP4, XE and many other should not be calling and working NA in the
window either...

Maybe the observation rule needs to be revamped as "hours of darkness" is a
rather broad statement. More spectrum would be even better at times ;o)

73,
Julius
n2wn