Re: Topband: Overcoming severe QRN

To: w5un@wt.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Overcoming severe QRN
From: w2pm@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:46:33 -0500
W5UN wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Blaschke <w5un@wt.net>
To: topband@contesting.com
Sent: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:57 am
Subject: Topband: Overcoming severe QRN

Here in Texas on 160 meters, QRN is well known. I have found the best
weapon against severe QRN is a good dummy load. However, one must
take care to use double shielded coax with good connectors between
the dummy load and the receiver, least the QRN find a path into the
system and distort the peacefrul quietness that this arrangement brings.

Dave, W5UN

W2PM Replies

One of my elmers - W2PHF now SK - was a Navy op on "500Kcs"  from the
tropics in Central America post WW2. He claimed the QRN gave him
Parkinsons disease (which he died from).  If the QRN did that to him it
certainly didn't effect his CW operating negatively as he could pull
out stations through all sorts of summertime lightning crashes. He'd
only QRT when the storms were virtually down the block.  He also told
me to set the sidetown as low as I could here and ran his rig sub 350hz.