Topband: Conditions Mar 12/13

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Conditions Mar 12/13
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:14:02 -1000
Was going to write a note on conditions but waited another day to see if
by any chance they would persist, alas not to be.
As could be said it was the best of days and the worst of days.  From KH6
here the conditions were the best of this season, for me at least  signal
strength wise on receive.  I first heard N7JW on the band before my sunset
and could hear 3 or 4 EU stations coming back to him, and apparently I
could hear them as well as he was by the reports he was giving.  The band
was full of Eu stations.   The next evening was even better with some EU
signals peaking 589.  Many were 579 which are normally on a good nite
559 or 569 at most.
    The bad news is I had to go out to see if my antenna was down,  I called
and called to no avail,  finally worked IK0YVV and G0JHC, but even that
seemed to be a challenge,  not sure what was going on,  one US station
reported that my signal to the states was weak compared to usual, so some
strange path or propagation was sure taking place.
    And no dont tell me to add more radials,  I have 120 - 300 ft long and
120- 60 ft long,   the antenna is not full size but is top loaded so
cant be
too much down from ideal.   Has to be some logical answer,  one that
comes to mind is I do not think EU are listening for KH6 on the best
antenna,   signals from EU to here come on a round about path many times
towards South America.
    Would make one believe in one way propagation for sure when you cant
raise a 589 signal..  not even be heard..  was great to hear conditions like
that but sure disappointing to not work more.
    Last nite was zit again,  back to little to nothing being heard out
here,
this morning also,  heard one RK3 calling cq.     For the past week or so
I have openings to UA3 , UA4 about 1530Z almost every day with
signals fading out before my sunrise.   Season conditions are changing
but keep an eye out yet for some surprise openings.    I will be QRV
all summer unless the antenna blows down.
    73 Merv K9FD/KH6