Topband: EWEs and radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: EWEs and radials
From: "Neil Carr G0JHC" <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:45:49 -0000
I have had good success with EWE antennas on 160m 12.5 x 5m, but appreciate
over average ground the take off angle is around 35 degrees when using
nothing more than a copper 1-2m ground rod.  ON4UN (latest book,  Chapter 7
"Receive Antennas") suggests one can lower this angle of reception to be
more DX orientated by installing a better ground and radials.

Here is my question.

An EWE has 2 grounds, would I only be interested in improving the ground and
running some radials off the ground rod in the direction of reception, or
would I benefit  from radials to lower the reception angle at both the
resistor termination side and the 9:1 feed point?

Neil G0JHC