Re: Topband: More - lightning protection on 4 sq

To: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>, Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: More - lightning protection on 4 sq
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:27:53 -1000
Hi all,

Sounds like you're on the right track to determine the possible effect
of adding series capacitors on the relative phase and amplitudes of the
currents in a four square array. The feed point impedance of each
vertical in the array may not be 50 ohms resistive though. A resonant
quarter wavelength vertical, with a real good radial field may be about
33 ohms with no reactance, but when the mutual impedances of other
driven elements in the near field are considered, things change.
> Ok we have agreement all around.  Thanks Price for the data.  Now we know we
> have .02 in series with 50 ohms, so that is about 4 ohms of reactance and 4
> ohms in series with 50 ohms results in a phase shift of 5.06 degrees
> according to trigonometry.  And now we also have someone who has measured .02
> with a 50 ohm load and actually saw 5 ohms of reactance on an antenna
> analyzer.  That's great.

DE N6KB