Re: Topband: More - lightning protection on 4 sq

To: "'Roger D Johnson'" <n1rj@roadrunner.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: More - lightning protection on 4 sq
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:36:49 -0400
> As to Polyphasers, it's my understanding that quite a bit of the energy
> in a lightning strike is in the 1 to 2 mHz range. I can't see that a
> series cap will help much in that instance.

The series capacitor exists in the Polyphaser box to allow static voltage to
climb high enough to trigger the gas discharge tube if there is a DC ground
in the receiver.  Many receivers have an input coil to ground from the
antenna input.  If there is no DC blockage, the receiver can take damage
before the discharge tube will approach firing.

Jim, KR9U