Re: Topband: PolyPhaser Model IS-50UX-C0

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: PolyPhaser Model IS-50UX-C0
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:14:01 -0400
Harold Smith wrote:

> I measured the breakdown voltage and found it to be 350 volts which is 2450
> watts at 50 ohms. That is
> why they rate it a a maximun of 2KW.

Not quite! The spark gap will arc at the peak voltage on the line. 350
volts peak is only 1225 watts on a 50 Ohm line and that is with a 1 to 1
SWR.

There seems to be some confusion between draining static charges and
lightning protection. About the only thing that will give you lightning
protection is a hefty spark gap at the base of the antenna.

I just had a thought about RADAR technology. When the spark gap at the
antenna fires, it will produce a low impedance at that point. This means
that 1/4 wave down the line will be a high impedance point. Perhaps this
would be a good point to install a Polyphaser type of suppressor.

73, Roger

--
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/