Re: Topband: PolyPhaser Model IS-50UX-C0

To: "Roger D Johnson" <n1rj@roadrunner.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: PolyPhaser Model IS-50UX-C0
From: "Harold Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:36:01 -0500

> Harold Smith wrote:
>

>> I measured the breakdown voltage and found it to be 350 volts which is
>> 2450 watts at 50 ohms. That is
>> why they rate it a a maximun of 2KW.
>>

> Not quite! The spark gap will arc at the peak voltage on the line. 350
> volts peak is only 1225 watts on a 50 Ohm line and that is with a 1 to 1
> SWR.
>
> There seems to be some confusion between draining static charges and
> lightning protection. About the only thing that will give you lightning
> protection is a hefty spark gap at the base of the antenna.
>
> I just had a thought about RADAR technology. When the spark gap at the
> antenna fires, it will produce a low impedance at that point. This means
> that 1/4 wave down the line will be a high impedance point. Perhaps this
> would be a good point to install a Polyphaser type of suppressor.
>
> 73, Roger

The voltage from a lightning strike is mostly DC not AC. If it would
breakdown at 1225 watts, then why does
PolyPhaser rate this model at 2000 watts from 1.5 to 50 mHz. Also what is a
quarter-wave at the lightning frenquency?

I have my PolyPhaser equipment on the side of my house where the cables
enter. 16 years and no real problems. My array
goes up to 100ft and it is the tallest structure for miles in "Thunder-Storm
Alley".

73 Price