Re: Topband: RG8X for Top Band receiving antennas

To: "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RG8X for Top Band receiving antennas
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:56:21 -0700
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:55:11 -0400, allan1 dejazzd.com wrote:

>Can any one tell me if it is okay to use RG8X instead of RG-58U
>for top band receiving antennas other than beverages?  It is so
>much cheaper and has the same impedance

That's probably because the RG8X is junk and the RG58 is quality
stuff. For cable of equal quality, RG8X should be MORE expensive
than RG58. Note that RG-specs for coax are broad as a barndoor.
Virtually ANY decent coax will work with a Beverage. Loss is low on
the bands where you'll use it, and loss doesn't matter anyway.

What DOES matter is the extent to which the coax resists the
penetration of moisture into the dielectric and resists varmints.
Most guys use an RG59 or RG6 designed for use with MATV and CATV
systems. That's because for equal quality, 75 ohm cables are MUCH
cheaper than 50 ohm cables (thanks to the high volume of the video
and MATV/CATV markets). DX Engineering sells a very good RG6 for
that purpose -- it has a flooded dielectric that resists varmints.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC