Re: Topband: KI4YAN AM on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: KI4YAN AM on 160
From: Gary - W7FG <w7fg@w7fg.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 01:29:24 +0000
At 04:00 PM 8/28/2008, you wrote:
>Hi all, my name is Jacob, and I'm looking to get started on 160M AM.
>Mainly because I'm a homebrew kinda guy, and 1.8Mhz is an easy band to
>build for, as far as stability of VFO's go.
>
>Jake, KI4YAN

Jake,

Don't get discouraged, starting Mid November till March there will be
a fair amount of AM activity on 160 meters, especially in your area
with super strong signals. 1895 to 1995 Khz.

As for working AM DX on 160 it is difficult under the best of
circumstances, I've worked KH6 and KL7 multiple times over the years
on 160 AM from Oklahoma,  but never have they been ragchew type
QSO's, which 99.99% of 160 AM QSO's are.

I suggest you look at Electric Radio Magazine http://www.ermag.com/,
and emailing Publisher - Ray - N0DMS  ray@ermag.com and ask him for a
sample copy of the magazine.

Good Luck with the Regen