Re: Topband: Vertical question

To: "George \(K8GG\) & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical question
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:26:25 -0700 (PDT)
George \(K8GG\) & Marijke Guerin wrote:
>> Has anybody on this list had experience with using open wire type
>> feeders with verticals?  All of the literature on verticals refer almost
>> exclusively to coax feeds.

The only way to do this is to do what I do, which is to have a 450 ohm
balanced to 50 ohm balanced transformer at the antenna, and operate
the open wire line at fairly low SWR.

>> The main issue I have is limited room, in that a 1/4w 160 m transmitting
>> antenna is out of the question, and I want to use it for 80m as well,
>> but avoid lossy trap arrangements.

>> VK4TGV

Any 160 meter vertical can also be driven on 80 meters as a voltage
fed antenna.  You just need a different matching network at the base.
You don't need a trap.  Traps only become necessary if you want
to operate over more than a 2:1 frequency range.

Rick N6RK