Topband: Vertical question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Vertical question
From: Peter Schrader <vk4tgv@rumpleteazer.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 13:29:36 +1000
Hello all,
Forgive me if this sounds like a silly suggestion, I have been a long
time lurker on this list.  I am slowly building up my Topband capability
which is somewhat of a challenge on a 400 square metre suburban housing
block in the suburbs.

I have put up a vertical, about 18 metre long, with plenty of radials
and am feeding it with 450 ohm window ladder line, at the house wall
there is a current balun, and from there about 2 metres of RG213 to a
MFJ949 tuner.

Has anybody on this list had experience with using open wire type
feeders with verticals?  All of the literature on verticals refer almost
exclusively to coax feeds.

The main issue I have is limited room, in that a 1/4w 160 m transmitting
antenna is out of the question, and I want to use it for 80m as well,
but avoid lossy trap arrangements.

--
Cheers and 73,
Peter Schrader