Topband: Stew Perry Warm-Up

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Stew Perry Warm-Up
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 12:38:04 -0400
Good Day All,

I had an absolutely wonderful time taking part in the Stew Perry Warm-Up
Challenge this weekend...

Ninety per cent of the activity here took place on Sunday morning, but it was
interesting to see just how many QSOs could be made in full day light, just
before the dinner hour yesterday.

One of the electrolytic capacitors in my 2.5 KVDC p.s. shorted-out toward the
end of my participation, knocking the 2x813 kilowatt amplifier out of
commission. I felt oh-so-sorry for myself because of this predicament --- until
I worked a QRP station out in the mid-West, who had an excellent signal. I
finished operating with 80-watts to the inverted "L", & was glad of it!

By way of interest, the "CK3" prefix I used was in commemoration of British
Columbia's 150th anniversary (that's "VE7"-land to any of you non-Canucks). All
Canadian "VE"-types have the option of using this special prefix until the end
of November...

I could mentally see at least a coupla guys I worked scratching their heads,
wondering where the heck "CK3CUI" was located! It's always fun to throw
something a little different like this into an event like this one, & I only
hope I never confused TOO many participants because of it!

Final tally here, after a mix of leisurely hunting & pecking / QRZ'ing on one
frequency, was around 100 QSOs. My thanks to the Boring Amateur Radio Club for
another nice, user-friendly event!

~73~ Eddy CK3CUI (a.k.a. VE3CUI - VE3XZ)