Re: Topband: Binocular Transformer Design

To: w2pm@aol.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Binocular Transformer Design
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 21:09:01 -0800 (PST)
Pete:
I can tell you from experience that a half-turn situation with a binocular core
really screws up the balance of the transformer. I made several identical
xformers and hooked them up back to back to check loss and SWR. The units with
half-turns always had much higher SWR results.

For 75 ohm cable, use a 2 turn primary and 5 turn secondary. This means each
hole will have two passes for the primary and 5 passes for the secondary. The 2
to 5 ratio results in a 6.25 impedance step up to 469 ohms. That is what I
usually use on my beverages and my K9AY. I also recently tried a 3 turn primary
and 7 turns secondary which results in a 532 ohm match. I cannot tell the
difference in performance of my K9AY between the two xformers.

73, Dennis W0JX/8