Re: Topband: BOG

To: "Petr Ourednik" <indians@xsmail.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG
From: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:06:24 -0400
From: "Petr Ourednik" <indians@xsmail.com>

> I would like to ask beverage guru's over here if somebody using BOG
> successfully

I am not a Beverage Guru but can tell you that BOG's work and they don't
need to be as long as conventional Beverages because, as I understand it the
VF is a bigger factor, wioth the wire huging the ground.  Here I have raise
and lowered many wires from ground to 5 feet ABG..  The first thing I notice
is the antenna is quieter we lowered to qwithin inches.  Perhaps this is due
to the overall output reductionl but that is compensated here with a good
pre-amp.  I am not sure what the pattern shaping impact is and if it could
actually improve it a bit...I'm not sure.

But .........another one of my irrefutible top bands truths is "that a
terminate BOG in the desired direction is better than no BOG or Beverage at
all." The same could be said for many compromise 160 merter DX antennas.
But for simplicity and cost the BOG is not to be overlooked because
conventional wisdom would suggest an antenna lying on the ground is a ersatz
performer.

73  Herb, KV4FZ