Topband: Bill Leahy Memorial Fund- K0ZL (SK)

To: GMCC <gmc@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Topband: Bill Leahy Memorial Fund- K0ZL (SK)
From: Rick Spiegel <w0ric.ham@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:16:43 -0700
Bill, K0ZL (SK) was killed this week while working at the MillerCoors Plant
in Golden, Colorado. Some of you may have heard the news already.

For those of you who did not know Bill, he ran B&B Technical Services &
Custom RF Solutions (SPE Expert Amplifier) with his wife Bonnie.

I spoke with Bonnie and her son DJ today. BTW, DJ has only 22 days left in
the Navy and will be a civilian. He sounded glad to be leaving the Navy so
he can help his mom now.

They all sounded very devastated by what happened. Bonnie was nearly in
tears while I spoke of a memorial fund to honor her late husband Bill. Their
son DJ sounded full of emotion as well.

I can relate to what they are going through. I have lost a parent and close
friends in the past. Only time will help heal this tragic loss. Bill was the
family earner and now he is gone. He was only 54.

Bonnie and DJ like the idea a memorial fund. After the funeral an account
will be set up and Bonnie will be the trustee of the account. She will be
able to use the funds as she sees fit. One thought was to help cover some of
the funeral costs. Another thought was a Ham Radio Scholarship fund.

She and her family are devastated by what happened to Bill. More news about
his death may be released in time.

With this weekends Aurora Repeater Assn. SWAPFEST just days away, I would
like to see if we can collect as many checks (no cash) as possible.

We need to honor Bill and show the family how close he was to the Ham
Community. I know he helped a lot of hams worldwide so get the word out.

For now, until the account is fully established, checks can be forwarded to
me and I will see that they are delivered to Bonnie.

Checks can be made out to the: *BILL LEAHY MEMORIAL FUND*

Please do not mail checks to the family. They have a lot going on.

Also, if we can collect checks on Sunday at the Swapfest, maybe Wayne N0POH
can present those to the family after the funeral.

In honor of Bill I am starting the fund with a $100.00 check. Will anyone
else match my funds?

Please mail checks (NO CASH) to my home address and I will get them to the
family as they arrive.

Let's pay it forward!

Rick Spiegel
W0RIC