Re: Topband: QSB surfing

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: QSB surfing
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:26:39 -0700
Tree wrote:
> Snip
> At this point - I believe the best thing to do is NOTHING.  Just sit there
> with you head on the table concentrating on the noise.  From RA4LW's
> perspective - he will think you didn't hear him come back and he will
> again send your call and the report - which is pretty much exactly what
> you want him to do.  If he does this quickly - over and over - the QSB
> will eventually peak - and you will get the report - and conditions should
> be best for him to hear your report coming back.

Tree...That is my very favorite head position on 160. Quite restful at
times. :-)
> Having someone trying to be helpful by sending "K" to you when RA4LW is
> done sending is not very useful at this point.  Chances are - if you tried
> to send something, RA4LW will not hear it.
> [Snip]
This "K" business is quite obnoxious, I agree completely. It is not
useful for someone with better ants or a more advantageous location to
be 'helpful', actually quite the opposite. If someone does that to me I
have 2 responses.
1. Don't log the QSO. Bad if its a new one.
2. Do it all over again, right then. Ask the DX for a repeat, so there
is no question it was ME copying the report. Or as you say, do nothing
let the DX infer I didn't get the report. So our 'helper' has just
screwed someone else out of a QSO, the last one before the DX goes QRT
or fades away, whose time I took up making sure my QSO is legit.

73 Art