Re: Topband: QSB surfing

To: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@surfvi.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QSB surfing
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:41:11 -0800 (PST)
Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:

>  So many times the DX (sometimes a new country or DX-Pedition) comes back
>  me as K4VFZ and no matter how many times I send my call I get back "K4VFZ
>  R 599 TU QRZ"  I have tried QRS and QRQ but when a station has it in his
>  mind that I am K4VFZ rather than KV4FZ  he has made up his mind, don't
> confuse him with the facts, so its on to the next station.  What do I do
> about this?  Maybe send KV KV KV4 KV4 but at times it doesn't make a dent
> in
> changing the stations perception that he has
>  the call correctly.  BTW there is no station licensed as K4VFZ or he
> would
> have 160 meter DXCC by now without even going on TB.

Occasionally, I experience what might be called "brainlock".
For example, in a recent contest, I kept hearing a K6 station
as K7...  I kept repeating his call as K7... and he kept sending
K6... which I heard as K7...  But his QTH was California which
prompted me to type K6... into Super Check and there he was.  I
came very close to logging K7...  I guess it happens to other
operators.  I don't know what the fix is for it.  I have mixed
up V and 4 any number of times.  Fortunately, I hear KV4FZ as a
complete word, since it is so familiar to me.

Rick N6RK