Re: Topband: Common mode chokes

To: "doktorij@bellsouth.net" <doktorij@bellsouth.net>, "n4zr@contesting.com" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Common mode chokes
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 12:01:06 -0700
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 17:05:29 +0000, doktorij@bellsouth.net wrote:

>Hi Jim,

>I agree... Finding metal coffee cans these days in a large size is
not very easy. Virtually everything is plastic. There are use I can
think of for the larger metal cans too.

>How far from your vertical do you place your choke?

On 160M it's not critical because the wavelength is so long. Rule of
thumb is within 1/20 wavelength. If it's a really long run, add a
choke so that no unchoked section is longer than about 3/8
wavelength.

Yeah, maybe 160 this weekend, but prop and noise have been stinko.
Listened for TO8YY last night when he was spotted in W1, and heard
neither him nor anyone calling him. Of course, being 160, ya never
know. :)

Mostly I'll be checking out my new SteppIR at 20 ft, before I put it
up to 120 ft. Better to find any problems now.

73,

Jim K9YC