Re: Topband: Common mode chokes

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Common mode chokes
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro.tcg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:29:35 -0500
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Jim Brown<jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
> Yes, BUT -- when I mentioned an idea similar to that as the solution to
> mounting a matching network outdoors, my neighbor reminded me the UV
> from Old Sol attacks most plastic materials and turns them to little bits of
> cracked plastic. So the trick is finding a UV-resistant enclosure in the
> shape you suggest.

Especially if the enclosure is going to be mounted in a difficult to
reach area. I've just re-built an omega matching network for tuning
the boom of my top tribander on 40M. The network is mounted at the top
of the mast, above the antenna, and it is quite difficult to mount and
service. The first design used a plastic box from the kitchen, and the
second, a child's thick plastic lunchbox, which lasted almost 10
years. I have finally learned the hard way that it pays to buy an
outdoor UV-rated enclosure for such hard to reach projects.

http://www.k4ro.net/k4ro/station_tour/images/40boom/UV_Beaten.jpg

I like the boxes sold at electrical supply houses. These boxes are
designed to be used outdoors. They are easy to drill, and some have
sturdy mounting holes that can be adapted for tower mounting. Here are
some images to give you an idea.

http://www.k4ro.net/k4ro/station_tour/images/40boom/New

73  -Kirk  K4RO