Re: Topband: T - vertical improvement

To: "DAVID CUTHBERT" <telegrapher9@gmail.com>, "Roy" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: T - vertical improvement
From: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:21:04 -0400
On 22nd July, Roy wrote:

"...What you give up is matching simplicity. The T will need a base series
capacitor as a minimum and an L-network if you like a 1:1 VSWR. At 1.5 kW
the 370 pF cap will see 10 kV RMS. You are looking at a vacuum variable
capacitor..."

Hi Ror,

Is the extended "T" feed method not similar to the Stew Perry-styled 170'
extended inverted "L" antenna,with base series-feed capacitance...?

If so, I use only moderately-spaced air variable capacitors at the botooms
of my "L" elements, with never a problem (unless the mice chew into the
plastic enclosures housing them, that is, resulting in water & ice
encapsulating the cap!).

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ