Re: Topband: Aluminum radials?

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Aluminum radials?
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:50:41 -0400
Thanks to all of you who commented on my question about aluminum radials.

A number of respondents suggested that aluminum electric fence wire
wouldn't make good radial wire since it will quickly deteriorate.  I'm
sure that in a salt or acidic environment, it would disappear long
before copper.  However, I'm just laying the wires on top of the ground,
so that shouldn't be too big of a problem.  One suggested that aluminum
wire wouldn't work as well as copper because of increased resistance.
All but one of my antennas are made of aluminum, so I'm not going to let
that worry me.  One said it wasn't strong enough.  The stuff I'm looking
at has a 90 lb breaking load, which isn't great, but stronger, in fact,
than the small gauge copper that I've been using.

A slightly larger number indicated that they were using the wire with no
noticeable deterioration or other problems.  One indicated that aluminum
radials buried in 3" of pine needle duff looked just as good after three
years as they did when first put down.

I had radials made from the galvanized steel electric fence wire rust in
two in three years, so I'm thinking that I'll try a few dozen made from
the aluminum fence wire this winter.  At $15 per 1/4 mile (at Lowes) it
won't break the bank.  Since the connections will be aluminum to
aluminum, I'll use Noalox and clamp them rather than attempting to braze
them.

Thanks again for all the comments...both pro and con....you've given me
food for thought and I appreciate it.  Considering my age, the aluminum
radials will probably out-last me.  If not, I promise to report on their
demise here on the reflector.

73,

Ken - K4XL

--
Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr