Re: Topband: Aluminum radials?

Subject: Re: Topband: Aluminum radials?
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 09:18:10 -1000
> Ken, K4XL wrote:
>
>  I'm fresh out of scraps of copper wire
> for radials and am considering
>
>> using aluminum electric fence
>>
> wire. The other galvanized electric fence
>
>> wire rusts away in a
>>
> couple of seasons. Anyone else using the aluminum
>
>> stuff? I've
>>
> seen it in 1/2 mile rolls for about $45 via the
>
> internet...maybe cheaper at the local farm store.
>
>> 73,
>> Ken K4XL
>> k4xl@arrl.net
>>

> Ken,
> etc.,
>
> Aluminum is much more chemically active than zinc
> (galvanizing).  Usually the minerals in soils accelerate
> corrosion.
> GL & 73
> George  K8GG

Correct George,  back in ILL soil some aluminum radials that I had buried
lasted about 2 years,  when checked they were white powder.
Here in KH6 its a recipe for disaster in a couple weeks.
I have a HF2V that turns to powder and has to be rebuilt about every 6
months,
while Aluminum irrigation pipe with a good coat of red Molokai soil
lasts for
years and years.  So it has to do with the type of aluminum alloy for
sure also.
73 Merv KH7C