Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?

To: <Topband @ contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?
From: "Brian Mattson" <k8bhz@hughes.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:53:38 -0400
Hello Brian,

To keep Topband "fresh & exciting", I've gone backwards in time.

Reading up on earlier exploits, I am amazed what was done with low power limits
& Loran interference. Today, with high power amps, improved receivers,
DX-peditions, internet spotting & posting, multi-element vertical arrays, and
many more countries on the air, it does indeed seem almost too easy.

My solution to re-kindling the spirit has been to research the very early days
of ham radio, with particular emphasis on the 1920's. The "200 meters & Below"
days make for fascinating reading. In particular, the Trans-Atlantic tests
generated a great deal of excitement. Thus inspired, I set out to build a
Topband station, using all 1920's technology & parts. The receiver was built
from the December 1927 "QST" (written up in January 2009 "QST"), and the
transmitter has been pieced together from several of the period "ARRL
Handbooks". The total station is finally coming together, with 8 European
countries worked so far from Upper Michigan. Output power is around 150 watts,
and vintage antennas are used  (Inverted L's & Beverage). Hearing DX come
rolling out of the regenerative receiver is a real thrill! Operating conditions
are as close to period as possible, so no posting or spotting is allowed, only
vintage search & pounce. I'm working on a vintage photo QSL, and look forward
  to papering the walls with DX cards. I'll be the first to admit that the
station is primitive, but the the excitement is back!

Brian  K8BHZ