Re: Topband: Boring Report - November 1st

Subject: Re: Topband: Boring Report - November 1st
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 09:55:53 -1000
Tree wrote:
> Very surprised to work Europe in the AM so early in the season.
>
> You can hear Vlad's CQs just before my sunrise here.  These were weaker than
> he was at the peak:
>
> http://www.kkn.net/~tree/160/RA4LW_1NOV2009_1437UTC.mp3
>
> 73 Tree N6TR/7
> Boring, OR

Band has been open to EU at sunrise here for some time,  worked the
first string
back at the end of Sept,  and was late getting fired up on 160 for the
season,
last years logs show Sept was hopping so I am sure I missed some opening
this
Sept.  Today sunrise was spot propagation, worked 20 plus EU but almost
all in the
UA3 area,  one OH, UA4, and a couple UA9 etc.  PA could not copy me when
I was getting good reports from UA3.  Interesting conditions.   Evenings
have
been decent until the patch changes to signals from EU arriving over
central America
then I have a problem being heard, can copy pretty good, but its not
reciprocal.

I have water on almost 180 degrees,  I think the path to central America
may be
over the length of the island,  so take off is first over 35 miles of
land.  Where as
the direct path to Eu is over water,  the sunrise path is to the north,
north west and
over water right away.

I have been watching the propagation again this year and one main
indicator of
propagation for KH6 land is no doubt the weather,  when there is a
front, high or
low over us or close by there is ducting and "spot" propagation,  have
seen this
now for 3 years.  Today there is a front close by and sure enough "spot"
to UA3.

But heck I am no expurt just a daily user of the band, and it works for
me.
73 Merv KH7C