Re: Topband: Trees And RF - Suggested Test

To: Top Band Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Trees And RF - Suggested Test
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:59:28 -0500
Edward Swynar wrote:
> This discussion raises its head every year at around this time, and every
> year I scratch my head in wonder about it all.
>
> Just what IS a good alternative to supporting a wire antenna anyway, if
> trees are all so nasty & evil...? Is it a steel grounded tower, maybe...? Or
> perhaps a helium-filled balloon...?!

Yes.  :-)

> What is it about a tree that makes it so undesirable anyway...? The fact
> that it's lossy at RF...? A metal tower firmly imbedded in the ground would
> surely have far less loss in that regard than a tree---but I'm reminded here
> about all of the old admonishments regarding the placing of extraneous metal
> objects in the field of any antenna...

A metal tower firmly imbedded in the ground makes a great antenna fed
with a gamma or omega match, or used as part of a folded umbrella
(folded unipole).

> Y'know what...? Mother Nature put the arbor glen on my property for more
> reasons than simply to admire, as I see it...so I'm with Herb: to heck with
> the tests! I have "green" / natural sky-hooks on my property, and I fully
> intend to keep on using them.

Go for it!

> Amen! Hi Hi
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr