Re: Topband: AAARRRAAGH ##$!@@!!

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: AAARRRAAGH ##$!@@!!
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:20:36 -0500
Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/3/2009 9:54:25 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
> grimm@sbc.edu writes:
>
> I  agree!  However, equally stupid are the ones who try to correct them
> by calling them uncomplimentary names.  That only serves to fan the
> flames.  And on it goes....
>

> What's the problem with calling a spade a spade!  It IS stupid  to tune on
> a DX station, and people need to remind the faulty ops  about this.  Maybe
> theyr'e not stupid, just ignorant of radio and need to  be corrected.
>
> Bill KH7XS/K4XS

Bill,

There is nothing necessarily wrong with calling a spade a spade.

The problem that I was referencing arises when you call the spade the
spade by saying something rude.  I agree with you that it is stupid to
tune on the DX and that the offender needs to be reminded.  However, if
someone asks you to "QSY Pse DX here" or "XS up 2" you are much more
likely to comply than if you hear "you stupid a&&hole get the he!! off
the freq."  The latter comment is almost guaranteed to generate MORE QRM
rather than less and is ultimately self defeating.

The offender may, as you say, simply be ignorant of proper procedure and
needs to be corrected.  However, correction doesn't work nearly as well
with name calling as it does with polite and helpful words.  In some
cases the person doing the tuning up on the DX is doing it deliberately
and in that case calling him names or repeatedly saying "up, up, up"
doesn't help.  It justs add to the QRM.  In the case of deliberate QRM,
the best procedure is to ignore it.  To recognize it only adds to the
thrill the sick person is getting from what he is doing....plus it adds
to the QRM level without accomplishing anything positive at all.

160 was for many years, the gentleman's band.  Unfortunately, rude
behavior is becoming the rule rather than the exception and that is
sad.  For many years, chasing DX on top band was a completely different
experience from the "other" bands.  For example, you didn't call the DX
zero beat.  You always offset your calling freq so that you didn't QRM
the DX for others who also wanted to work him.  If you didn't get
through on the first call or two, you stood by and let someone else have
a try.  You understood top band propagation and waited until the condx
changed to favor your location before you called again.  Now, it is more
like 20 mx after the fellows have had too much red meat and P5AA has
just called CQ.

73,

---
Ken K4XL