Topband: coax loops - the age old question...

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: coax loops - the age old question...
From: Pete Parisetti <hb9dsu@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:49:08 +0100
Hello topbanders,

I would like to be the thousandth who asks the same old question - do, in
your experience, small coax loops work?

Both K1ZM and ON4UN don't discard them in their books as useless, but well
into my second season on TB I must admit that I fail to see any real
improvement in S/N compared to my TX antenna. I can certainly null a
particular type of digital noise that appears often at my QTH, but in
general, if I don't hear a signal on the inverted L, I don't hear it on the
loop either. Please note that

a) disconnecting the TX antenna (which is in proximity of the loop) does not
determine any change in noise on the loop, and

b) I do not use a preamp (I am almost certain that that would not improve
the S/N...).

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

73 Pete

--