Re: Topband: coax loops - the age old question...

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: coax loops - the age old question...
From: wb6rse1@mac.com
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:08:24 -0800
I've used the 5 ft per side coax loop and added the 2.5 ft per coax
loop for 80m while I was at it. Each loop was tuned separately and
then "T" connected for a single coax run to rig where it went into a
preamp. I was told that a single coax feed wound not work. But it did.
I found a preamp to be a necessity. The loop is omni in its plane. It
helped to put me over the top for my first 100 on Top Band from the
West Coast. I also worked a number of zone 20 and 21 stations with it
on for RX on 80m at my local sunrise LP.

The dual coax loop is a very inexpensive antenna to build and is
certainly worth a try if you have limited real estates. A small TV
rotator easily turns it. It WILL interact with a resonant antenna in
the same plane, like a shunt fed tower. Sometimes to it's benefit but
not always.

YMWV

73! Steve WB6RSE