Re: Topband: Sunspots increase gud/bad for 160m?

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Sunspots increase gud/bad for 160m?
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:39:53 +1300
Hi Sam,

IMO, the honest answer is that we don't really know.  I don't have as
much experience on TB as some of the OT's, but in my 12 years of
activity I have tried to find a correlation between space weather and
propagation, with remarkably little success.

For example, on Sunday evening ZL time condx were excellent.  LP Signals
from G were good, and I worked my first LA's via LP.  On Monday morning
things were still humming, and I put 15 Eu stations in the log around
SR.  Those contacts were all in excess of 18 000km.

Last night the solar flux and K index were exactly the same as the
previous day, but prop was completely different.  Tom G3OLB and I
managed a scratchy QSO, but that was it.  Same at SR just now.  I could
JUST hear IV3PRK and PA3FQA, but not with enough signal for a QSO.  Go
figure!

There is one situation that seems to bring good condx fairly
consistently, and that is when the A index is on a steep rise.

That's what I have observed operating from both ZS and ZL.  There really
is no reliable pattern.

73 Greg, ZL3IX