Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: Carl K9LA <k9la@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 05:27:06 -0500
  Greg,

>Interesting site, but I see the neutrons were abt +1.5 on both 20th and
>21st.  Prop was great on the 20th, but non-existent on the 21st.  Must
>be another factor somewhere!

You make an important point about K5PC's comments.

When Bob NM7M and I co-authored the first article in the cosmic ray
series (in the November 2008 issue of CQ - Bob subsequently wrote
several more articles on this topic by himself), we had hoped that the
decrease in cosmic ray count would give us a daily indicator of long
distance propagation on 160m. But that was not to be. The log data
showed many instances of what you cited - good days and bad days at the
same decrease in cosmic ray count. In fact, a couple logs showed no
relationship between cosmic ray count decrease and distance - those
stations worked long distances regardless of cosmic ray count decrease
(your log data to Europe from 2005 through early 2008 is one such example).

I believe the cosmic ray count decrease parameter should be used as a
long term indicator of DXing - not as a sure-fire daily indicator. And I
agree with your last sentence - there is at least one other variable
(more than likely more than just one!) running around out there that we
don't have a handle on yet.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Carl K9LA