Re: Topband: Loud clicks -- Hot Switching

Subject: Re: Topband: Loud clicks -- Hot Switching
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:13:41 -0800
On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 03:51:02PM -0500, GEORGE WALLNER wrote:

> Hot switching -- or delayed PA RX/TX switching -- is a far
> more common problem than is generally realized.

Ah - this reminds of me of my CQ WW CW operation from EA9 back in
1990.  There was a multi-multi spread out across the island and
I could yell "HI" to the 15 meter operator as he was putting his
antenna up on top of a nearby apartment building.

I was using an MM3 keyer with TR log that assured that the PTT
was asserted 15 milliseconds before CW started being sent.  Most
of these guys used VOX with old radios and amps that made a huge
click on the band when they started transmitting.  I tried saying
"NO VOX PSE" but they didn't have a clue what I was trying to
talk about.

Tree N6TR
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK