Re: Topband: A ham who uses his own weight in ferrites

To: Carl Clawson <carlclawson@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: A ham who uses his own weight in ferrites
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:05:12 -0400
Carl Clawson wrote:
> I stumbled across this article on common mode noise somewhere:
>
> http://www.yccc.org/Articles/W1HIS/CommonModeChokesW1HIS2006Apr06.pdf
>
> Looking at the extensive choking at this station, I am astounded. For
> example, I've never heard of anyone choking entire mains branches at the
> breaker panel (his Fig. 14). Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention.
> But...

The DOD and military have done extensive research on EMP protection for
command and control facilities so nothing can get in....absolutely
nothing that they do not want to get in from DC to light.  This practice
started being extensively deployed during the "cold war" when scientists
learn that higher altitude detonation from nuclear devices could enter a
facility and render the entire communications ability useless by
utilizing one of Van Clausewitz's rules of warfare victory in breaking
lines of communication.  These are more than clean rooms or buildings.
No RF penetrates, no AM or FM Radio, no cellphone, no wireless, is heard
inside as the migratory paths for any signals are eliminated..

Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK