Re: Topband: M flare

Subject: Re: Topband: M flare
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:05:32 +0100
At 67.5 degs North 80 and 160 was all dead last night,
thats around 18-19 UTC. 20m was open to USA but very
heavy flutter on signals, there was also some strong
AEs propagation towards south west (Norway). It will
take a while for 160 to recover.

73 Jim SM2EKM/2 above the arctic circle

On 2010-01-20 23:29, Merv Schweigert wrote:
> Not at 1330,  but was monitoring 20 meters later, perhaps it was around
> 2000 UTC and there was the familar "rushing" sound that peaked up over
> S9 here for several minutes,  the signals from EU that I was listening to
> disappeared,  what I use to hear in the last sunspot cycles when a flare
> or event happened.
> Did not see any improvement to LF bands here at least, 160 was close
> to dead this morning at sunrise,  fish beacons were 599 that usually signals
> poor condtions.  No signals other then FK8 were heard here.
> 73 Merv KH7C
>> Some interesting reading at www.spaceweather.com:
>>

>>> An M2-class solar flare on Jan. 19th bathed Earth's upper atmosphere in
>>> X-rays and caused a wave of ionization to sweep over Europe. This improved
>>> the propagation of low-frequency radio signals, which use the ionosphere
>>> as a reflector to skip over the horizon
>>>

>> It looks like this peaked around 1330 UTC.  Wonder if anyone noticed strange
>> things happening on the band around then?
>>
>> 73 Tree

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK